Too, To, and Two
These three words are called homophones, meaning that they sound alike even though they
historically come from different sources and have different meanings
To is the word we use when we talk about going towards something. It might help you to
remember its spelling, if you think of it as the beginning letters of towards. We also use to as
part of infinitive verbs as when we say such things as to run, to rain, to consider, to tell. People
who make TO DO lists (they write down all the thing that need to do) have a head start in
remembering this sense
Too is used to mean more than enough, as in, “I am too tired to stay for refreshments.” Some
people remember this spelling by thinking that the two o’s in its spelling are too many
Two is the way to spell the name of the number 2. One way to remember that the word with the
w in it is the number is to think of other words starting with tw that mean two. Twins is one such
word, and so it twice and twain. Tweezers have two parts, twilight has light from the day and the
night, and if you are betwixt and between, you are caught between two choices
In the following sentences that tell the story of an ill-fated shopping trip, write the
correct two, too, or to in the blank spaces
1. The other day I went _________ the post office.
2. While I was there I bought a shirt and _________ pairs of shoes.
3. I went ________ the cash register _________ pay and to have the items put in a
4. As I was leaving the store the bag broke open because it was _________ thin.
5. _________ store employees ran over _________ help me but it was ________
6. The shoes and shirt fell through the hole in the bottom of the bag and crashed
onto the floor. Customers tried _________help, but there was nothing they
could do when someone accidentally stepped on the shirt and got it dirty.
7. The manager came over_________ talk _________ me and explain that their
new plastic bags are _________ thin ________ use for heavy items like shoes.
8. He said it was a good idea _________ double-bag bigger packages.
9. Now when I go _________ the mall to shop, I am always ready ______ make
sure that the employees use ______ bags instead of one, just _________be
Answers: 1. to, 2. two, 3. to, to, 4. too, 5. two, to, too, 6. to, 7. to, to, too, to, 8. to, 9. to, to, two, to.